What to do when things aren't right

​We hope you will have a really good experience of healthcare in East Surrey, but we know that sometimes things can go wrong. If this is happens, we want to make sure that you know what you can do.

If you have an issue or situation that needs resolving, before you get in touch with us, try talking to your GP, nurse or the health professional treating you first. Often many problems can be resolved quickly and locally this way. The most important thing is to try and put things right as quickly as possible.

How we deal with complaints

We take all complaints seriously and seek to act swiftly to resolve problems if they arise.

If you are unhappy with the treatment or service you have received from East Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group, you are entitled to make a complaint, have it investigated, and receive a response from us.

The NHS complaints procedure covers complaints made by a person about any matter connected with the provision of NHS services by NHS organisations.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint including:

  • A patient
  • Someone acting on behalf of the patient with their written consent
  • Anyone affected by the actions of an NHS body.

Need help to complain? 

If you need help from an independent body you may wish to contact the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service.  Locally this service is provided by Healthwatch Surrey in partnership with the Surrey Independent Living Council. They can support you and represent your views when making a complaint.

Contacting the Surrey Independent Living Council:
Telephone:      01483 310 500 (10am-4.30pm Mon-Fri excluding Bank Holidays)
Website:          www.surreyilc.org.uk
Email:              nhsadvocacy@surreyilc.org.uk

To find out more click on this link:


What is the time limit for making a complaint?

You should normally complain within 12 months of the event(s) concerned or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about. NHS organisations have discretion to waive this time limit if there are good reasons why you could not complain earlier.

To who should I complain initially? 

Local resolution aims to resolve complaints quickly and as close to the source of the complaint as possible, using the most appropriate means. You can raise your concerns immediately by speaking to a member of staff who may be able to resolve your concerns without the need to make a more formal complaint.

Complaints about GPs, dentists, pharmacists and opticians

These services are funded by NHS England and complaints can be made by contacting:


Tel:     0300 311 22 33

Post:   NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT.

For information about services funded by NHS England, please visit their website: https://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/complaint/.

Complaints about community services

If your complaint is regarding a service such as community nursing, therapy services or a community hospital, please contact First Community Health & Care CIC:

Email: fchcenquiries@firstcommunitysurrey-cic.nhs.uk
Tel:     01737 775450​ 

Post:   Managing Director, First Community Health & Care CIC, 2nd Floor, Forum House, 41-51 Brighton Road, Redhill, RH1 6YS.

Complaints about hospital, mental health or ambulance trusts

If your complaint relates to a service provided by one of these organisations you will need to contact the Trust directly. All local hospitals, mental health and ambulance services have their own complaints procedures and, in most cases, a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) too. They can help you with any problems that have arisen and can help with any complaints relating to their services.


Policy and funding decisions

If you need to make a complaint about a policy or funding decision, you should contact the Clinical Commissioning Group Complaints Team based in North West Surrey:

Email:     nwsccg.complaints@nhs.net

Tel:         01372 232450

Text:       07880 091328

Post:       Patient Experience Team, North West Surrey CCG, 58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 8DP

If you make your complaint orally, a written record will be made. You will be sent a copy as acknowledgement and asked to contact us if you wish to make any amendments. To help us deal with your complaint effectively, please provide the following information when you contact us:

  • Your name, address and telephone number
  • The patient’s name and contact details name if you are complaining on behalf of someone else (if this is the case, you will be asked to complete a consent form)
  • Full details of the complaint
  • Where and when the incident took place that you are complaining about
  • What you have already done about your complaint, if anything
  • What you expect to happen as a result of your complaint


Please note that in order for us to investigate your complaint thoroughly, it may be necessary for us to share details of the incident in question with other NHS organisations.  If you would prefer us not to do this please make us aware when you first contact us.

What happens next? 

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days. It will then be passed to one of our trained investigating managers to carry out an investigation.

This process may involve:

  • Meeting or speaking with one of our trained investigating managers to gain your personal view of the issues you have raised.
  • Accessing your records (with your consent) and disclosing relevant information to us
  • Using your information for other purposes, such as monitoring the complaints process or improving service quality. Where possible, only anonymous information will be used. If identifiable data is needed for other purposes, then your consent will be obtained.


Once the investigation has been completed, you will receive our response, including any improvements that have been, or will be made, as a result of your complaint.

Whenever possible this will be within 25 working days; if there is going to be a delay we will let you know and explain the reasons why.

Please be assured that your future care and treatment will not be affected in any way because you have made your concerns known to us.

The parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsmen 

If you are dissatisfied with the response, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Email: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk

Tel:     0345 015 4033 or send a text to their 'call back' service: 07624 813 005, with your name and mobile number. 

Textphone (Minicom): 0300 614298.

Post:   Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.
Web:   https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint.