'Carers look after family; partners or friends in need of help because they are ill, frail or have a disability. The care they provide is unpaid.  This includes adults looking after other adults, parent carers looking after disabled children, and young carers under 18 years of age looking after siblings, parents or other relatives.' (Carers' UK).

Do you look after an elderly, frail or disabled friend or relative who could not manage without you? Is this care unpaid? If so you are a Carer. 

GP Carer Registration - It is important that everyone at your surgery is aware that you are a carer so that they can provide you with support and help if you need it. 

GPs have a responsibility to support and work with you in your caring role but also to help you to maintain your own health. GP practices are required to identify and register all carers who use their practice, so please let your GP know if you are looking after someone.

  • ​​Why Register? - There are different types of help and support available to you as a Carer. Once you are registered as a Carer with your GP, access and referral to schemes and local services becomes much more straightforward.
  • How to Register - To do this simply complete a yellow Carer Registration Form available from your GP surgery and hand it in at reception.

 In Surrey we have a GP Carers’ Breaks Scheme which allows GPs to prescribe Carers a break worth up to £300, based on a clinical assessment of The Carer’s health. 

The money can be used to purchase alternative care to allow carers to have a break or to pay for goods or services that will help carers to relax and improve your health and well-being.

If the GP believes that a carer would benefit from a break, they will apply for the grant and soon after the carer will be contacted by Surrey Independent Living Council, who administer the grant, and will discuss the carers needs including on-going support.

In order to qualify for a GP Carer's Break, carers must be registered as a carer at a practice affiliated to one of the Surrey Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs).

There are a number of services which are located in Surrey to support and help the estimated 108,000 Carers who live and care in Surrey. These services range from help and support provided by Surrey County Council to support and advocacy services that our partners in the voluntary sector provide.

For more information about the range of services available to Carers in Surrey contact Action for Carers Surrey:

You can also request a Carer's Information pack from the Adult Social Care helpline. If there are any children in the household affected by the caring situation, they may be a 'young carer'. Surrey Young Carers supports young carers under 18, and offer a wide range of care and support options aimed at young people​

Carers of all ages have a right to an assessment of their needs. To find out more, please contact the Adult Social Care helpline on 0300 200 1005

If you are a GP or healthcare professional working in practice please search ‘C​arers’ on DXS to access information about how to support carers and about local services.   ​

Carers resources

pdf File East Surrey CCG Carers Strategy Q4 EOY Report 2015-16.pdf
pdf File NHS-Practical-Guide-To-Caring.pdf